Gunung Kawi is an 11th-century temple complex in Tampaksiring north east of Ubud in Bali, Indonesia. It is located near the river Pakrisan.
The complex comprises 10 rock-cut candi (shrines) carved into the cliff face. They stand in 7-metre-high (23 ft) sheltered niches cut into the sheer cliff face. These monuments are thought to be dedicated to King Anak Wungsu of the Udayana dynasty and his favourite queens.
Gunung Kawi is a Hindu Temple complex with old omission from the stone era dated in the Gianyar regency. Based on the inscription of Tengkulak A on 945 saka (Balinese calendar) which is released by Marakata King, the ancient complex located at the Pekerisan River was called Katyangan Amarawati. Pekerisan River is also mentioned by Jalu, according to the inscription chiseled above the biggest temple door called ‘Haji Lumahing Jalu'. The name of Gunung Kawi is the name given on the omission which is related to the complex of temples because the temple on this area is like the symbol from the mount. There are 3 temples that are given the name Gunung Kawi in Bali: those are Gunung Kawi in the Sebatu countryside area, the Gunung Kawi Temple in the Keliki countryside area and Gunung Kawi Temple in the Babitra countryside area. The ancient omission complex of Gunung Kawi was founded in the 10th century. It is founded in the era of Udayana about 989. In the period of the Marakata governance on 1023, the omission formerly called Katyagan Amarawati was developed and continued by the governance of Anak Wungsu who supposedly ruled between the years of 1049 - 1077.
The ancient omission complex It consists of 2 types:
Temple Complex. Temple complex consists of 2 consecutions. The consecution in eastside Pekerisan River consists of 5 units and the consecution at west side of river is 5 units, in the north is 4 units and 1 unit is located far in south side separate from the others. On the above of the temple consecution in particular to the Eastside River, there is an article of Kediri word type sounding ‘Haji Lumahing Jalu'. Haji means a king, the Lumah means a temple or Sidha Dewata means to return to the nature of deity and Ing Jalu means in Pekerisan. The Jalu mean the Keris literal. The entire words mean that king is made in temple form at Pekerisan. From this article is assumed that this temple is dedicated to Udayana King which is also called Marakata and Anak Wungsu. The temple which is located in the west side of river related to all king concubines. The temples are located far in the south side is attributed to prime minister because in these temple areas existing an article Rakyan which is namely perform for high functionary of empire.